03 Aug Shaved Asparagus Salad
Oh sweet fresh asparagus! How I love eating you raw straight from the local fields. Spring and early summer are the best times in my neck of the woods for fresh and tender asparagus.
There are so many ways to use asparagus which really helps my need for variety. I also appreciate simple and healthy food. These variables led me to concoct this simple delicious recipe.
What you need
1 bunch of fresh asparagus
Juice of one lemon
1/4 c of avocado oil (or extra virgin olive oil)
2 Tbsp chopped toasted hazelnuts (Filberts)
1 Tbsp of parmesan cheese (or nutritional yeast if vegan)
Salt & pepper to taste
What you do
- Wash asparagus and snap off woody ends
- Lay asparagus flat on cutting board and use a vegetable peeler to shave the asparagus into fine thin strips
- Continue to shave all the asparagus spears and place in a large mixing bowl
- Add marinade of lemon juice, avocado oil and salt & pepper and let stand for at least 30 minutes to soften
- Add cheese and toasted hazelnuts before serving