12 Jun DETOXIFICATION FOR WOMEN’S HEALTH
Protect Yourself From Environmental Causes Of Hormone Imbalance
HOW DO EVERYDAY CHEMICALS AFFECT WOMEN’S HEALTH?
Chemicals in the environment known as endocrine disruptors can interfere with the normal activity of hormones in women. These hormonal imbalances contribute to hormone-related cancers such as breast, uterine, ovarian, thyroid and prostate cancers, and conditions such as PMS, PCOS, infertility, endometriosis, fibrocystic or painful breasts, ovarian cysts, uterine fibroids, cervical dysplasia, thyroid disorders and lupus.
WHAT OTHER COMMON SYMPTOMS ARE ASSOCIATED WITH TOXICITY?
- Irritability, Anxiety, Depression
- Skin rashes
- Headaches, especially migraines
WHAT ARE COMMON SOURCES OF HORMONE DISRUPTING CHEMICALS?
|Hormone Disrupting Chemicals:||Sources:|
|Organochloride chemicals; vinyl chlorides, dioxins, PCBs, and perchloroethylene
|Pesticides, adhesives, paints, PVC products|
|Aromatic hydrocarbons; parabens, phthalates, phenols, and surfactants||Food preservatives, plastics, canned foods with lacquer coating, food and water contained or wrapped in plastic, cosmetics, lotions, nail polishes, fragrances, soft toys, shower curtains, liquid detergents, cleaning solutions, and air fresheners
|Oxybenzone, octinoxate, 4MBC||Sunscreen lotions
|Hormones in animal products consumed by humans||Commercially raised beef, chicken, pork, dairy|
HOW DO WE GET RID OF TOXINS WE’RE EXPOSED TO?
- AVOIDANCE: The first step in a detoxification program is to avoid sources of known toxins.
- Replace vinyl mini blinds, shower curtains, and placemats with fabric.
- Purge your home of any scented laundry detergent, fabric softener, air fresheners, candles and chemical cleaning supplies.
- Use dryer balls, solvent-free dry-cleaning, and VOC-free paints.
- Go to www.lesstoxicguide.ca for nontoxic cleaning product recipes and nontoxic brand name products
- To purify the air in your home, use electric air purifiers (check out www.Iqair.com, or www.Blueair.com), and houseplants.
- Replace furnace filters monthly with high quality pleated filters (MERV 7); get air ducts cleaned professionally annually.
- Buy organic fruits and vegetables
- Buy hormone and antibiotic free meats and dairy products.
- Buy fresh or frozen foods and avoid canned foods.
- Eat wild fish low in mercury, such as wild Alaskan salmon, haddock, and trout.
- Store food and drinks in glass, not plastic.
Personal Care Products:
- Visit the Environmental Working Group at www.ewg.org for their Skin Deep Cosmetic Safety Database and Sunscreen Safety Guide.
- SUPPLEMENTS: To supply nutrients needed to assist our organs of detoxification and elimination.
- Multiple vitamin-mineral formula with higher levels of: vitamins B1, B6, C, E, Magnesium, Selenium, Choline, Green tea extract, NAC, MSM, Milk thistle, Turmeric, Broccoli extract, Dandelion root, Alpha-lipoic acid.
- Whey protein powder
- Rice bran fiber
TAKE HOME MESSAGE
- Research continues to reveal how toxins in our environment increase our risk of hormonal imbalance and associated conditions, as well as common symptoms like fatigue and headaches.
- Most of the toxins we’re exposed to are because of our personal choices.
- There are many resources for making choices that limit our exposures and reduce our risks.
Your Enviromental Medicine Certified N.D.