03 Jun Baked Portobello and Egg Stack
Go on break the rules! This dish goes for any meal; breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner.
Here, I used a large portobello mushroom cap, a thick slice of tomato, an egg, fresh herbs, hard goat cheese on top of a bed of arugula.
Feta cheese, soft goat cheese, basil pesto, roasted red pepper, grilled zucchini or ground turkey would also pair well with the broiled mushroom.
For this version:
- I wiped the mushroom clean instead of washing it and removed the stem (it soaks up water and can get soggy during cooking if you wash it).
- Then drizzled grapeseed oil on the mushroom and sprinkled salt and pepper on the mushroom cap and the tomato and broiled them for about 7 minutes.
- Once partially cooked, I cracked an egg inside the the mushroom cap and baked for at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes.
- For the last minute in the oven, I added a little grated hard goat cheese until it melted.
- Then added the cooked mushroom stack to a bed of arugula that was tossed in fresh lemon juice, avocado oil and salt & pepper.
- Lastly, I topped off the stack with fresh herbs (oregano, thyme and chives).
- Then I took a pick before it went down the hatch.
I’d love to hear or see what you concoct. Please indulge me ; )