26 Jun Dairy-Free Creamy Asparagus Soup
For those times when asparagus is fresh and in season or when you have the urge for some homemade soup.
What you need
1 bunch of fresh asparagus, woody ends removed and coarsely chopped into 1” pieces
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves, garlic minced
2 Tbsp ghee, coconut oil or avocado oil
5 c vegetable broth, preferably organic
1 c raw cashews
2 c filtered water
2 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice (optional)
1/2 – 1 tsp Himalayan salt & pepper
What you do
- Start the night before by soaking the cashews in 2 cups of filtered water. In the morning or when preparing the soup, blend the cashews and soaking water in a blender or vitamix to make cashew milk.
- In a large soup pot, heat cooking oil on medium-high heat and cook onion and garlic for a few minutes until softened and fragrant.
- Add chopped asparagus, salt and pepper to taste and continue sautéing until it is softened slightly (approximately 4 – 5 minutes)
- Add broth and simmer covered until the asparagus is tender (about 15 minutes). Then add cashew milk to warm through.
- Blend in batches to puree everything together.
- If using lemon juice, add it and stir until combined before serving.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with chopped dill if desired.
Note:If you have sensitivities to nuts or cashews, consider using one can of coconut milk in place of the cashew milk.